By the end of this chapter, you should be able to generate well-thought-out responses to demonstrate your understanding of the following learning objectives (sample answer comments are included at the end of this chapter):
- Explain what child development is.
- Describe why it is important to study child development.
- Discuss the history of child development. Have views about childhood and child development changed across time? If so, how?
- Describe the major theories of child development.
- Discuss the major controversies in the study of child development.
- Describe how psychologists study child development.